Rouge Valley Public School, Toronto
York Urbanist is one of the roster landscape architects for Toronto District School Board and awarded the design of the kindergarten play space and School Master Plan for Rouge Valley Public School in East Toronto.
Components of the project:
- Realignment of the combination soccer and baseball field;
- Refinement of the hillock area to which children are drawn for recess;
- New trees for shade;
- Enlarged secure Kindergarten play space;
- Tricycle track, complete with traffic calming speed bumps; and
- Sand Play area with interactive components.
Throughout the design, maintenance was an essential element. With only one caretaker, hard surfaces make cleanup easier. But the design put children’s play experience first. Through supervision, the children were allowed to engage with the new landscape while the grassy areas matured. This was the last project and lasting memory for the retiring principal, Kim Wynott.